It’s easy to feel happiness when you’re, for example, at the beach, with the people you love, shopping at your favorite store or on some fabulous adventure. It’s much harder to feel happy when we don’t really have reason to be. So how do we find happiness on a rainy day? I’m a pretty cheery person and if you know me personally, you know that I’m pretty bubbly, even when I’m sad. I don’t force it, it’s just how it is. I’m lucky that I’m programmed in a way that I HAVE to see the good in any situation. Sure, there are times when I can’t but you can’t expect to be happy all the time either. There’s some people that can’t for the life of them, get into a happy place however hard they try and these people have to work much, much harder. I’m a firm believer that if you can’t focus on the good, you focus on the bad by default and that’s no way to go through life. Without trying to sound like a self help book here, these are some of my tips to lift my mood when I can’t get out of a slump!
1. Go outside. There’s nothing more healing than stepping outside and distracting yourself. Go to your local bakery, walk in the park or watch children play on a playground.
2. Buy flowers. Nothing cheers me up more than seeing flowers in the morning. Yes friends, that’s why there’s always flowers in my living room! If I’m feeling particularly down, I put a small vase next to my bed so they’re the first thing I see when I wake up.
3. It’s raining? No problem! Make yourself a hot coco, some popcorn and curl up to your favorite movie. No shame in staying in once in a while! Plus, I don’t like to get wet so singing in the rain is really not my thing!
4. Watch something light. If you’re down about your love life, for the love of God, don’t watch “The Notebook”. Watch a funny sitcom that lightens your mood. Re-runs of Sex and The City, Friends, Two Broke Girls, Modern Family…LIGHT. Laughter is the best medicine.
5. Force yourself to meet an old friend. Go to a museum, your favorite coffee hangout or hit the shops.
6. Blast you’re favorite song in the shower, car or gym…and sing along! Singing (even badly) will do wonders for your mood. Power ballads are the best. Katy Perry “Roa-a-a-a-or!” even if you feel totally silly. So important to not take yourself to seriously and just be a complete dork sometimes.
7. My all time favorite way to cheer my mood is working out. Go for a light run in your local park followed by some Yoga. I’m sure you’ve heard that Endorphins are a natural anti depressant! After working out I make myself a nice smoothie and I instantly feel more energized and happy.
8. “Smile. Though your heart is breaking… ” Trick your brain into thinking you’re happy and put a smile on that beautiful face!
9. Don’t mope around in your PJ’s. Yes ,this is a fashion blog and at the risk of sounding cheesy, putting on a nice outfit and doing your hair and make up will do wonders for your confidence and make you feel you can handle anything. For me it’s my hair. You know that feeling when you walk out of the salon and the wind blows just as you’re walking out and you feel like you’re in a Pantene commercial? If your thing is make up, put on your favorite bold lippy.
10. Will power. You really have to want to be happy, you can’t let yourself wallow in your own sorrows! Tell yourself that time heals all wounds, this too shall pass and this moment will just be a grain of sand on the beach that is your life. And if all else fails remember your merits and forget your failures. Like the housekeeper said in “The Help”.
You is kind. You is good. You is important.