It took me a while to put all of this information together, so this Easter break was the perfect time to stop procrastinating and make you this ultimate Bangkok guide. As you all know I recently went back to Bangkok, a place I lived for many years through high school, for a friends wedding. I promised you my personal guide to Bangkok because this city (like many other Asian cities) changes at an unbelievable speed and this means there are always new restaurants, bars, hotels and hip hangouts to discover. I relied on the trusted information of my many friends there to make sure I checked out some of the hippest places in town. I was floored by the new found sophistication of the city and so many more places to go than I had been to when I last lived there.
Top 10 things to do:
1.Get lost in Chatuchak local market on a Sunday and buy some beautiful Buddha statues
2. Get your hair done at “Take Care” and then get eyelash extensions for 25 euros!
3. Have a drink at Muse bar’s swanky speakeasy bar with amazing views of the city
4. Have dinner at Surface Kitchen on Thong Lor
5. Visit the Grand Palace for some culture and fail trying to take a picture of the whole golden reclining Buddah
6. Go to the beach and escape hectic Bangkok for a week. Head over to Krabi or Koh Pi Pi for the most authentic tropical beach adventures
7. Don’t miss Jim Thomson’s house in the middle of the city. Buy a beautiful silk cushion at their gift shop and have lunch at the restaurant right next to the house.
8. Visit the floating market
9. Get a traditional thai massage. It hurts a little at first but you’ll feel like a new person after.
10. Head on a boat on the Chao Phraya river and have tea at the famed Oriental Hotel.
Now a more complete guide for those of you who want specifics…
- Chatuchak weekend market
- Terminal 21: This place seriously blew me away! I spent HOURS going through every floor discovering local fashion brands from new designers all in a super modern building. The floors are seperated into cities and I liked Tokyo best of all!
- Platinum Mall (Asok station)
- Paragon: this gigantic mall is one of the biggest in Asia boasting of a huge food court, aqarium and every luxury brand under the sun.
- Emporium Mall (don”t miss the thai designers floor)
- Central Department Store (Chitlom Station)
Brands to check out:
- Fly Now
- Kyra Lingerie
- BSC lingerie
- Panpuri (candles and spa products)
- Karmakamet (candles are amazing)
Unmissable Bars and Restaurants:
- Surface kitchen (Thong Lor)
- The Grotto at Muse hotel
- Kudeta for nightlife
- Speakeasy at Muse hotel
- Maggie choo’s Bar
- Iron Fairies Bar
- Sirocco (for the incredible view of the city)
- Supaniga eating room (Thong Lor)
Best Hotels in Bangkok
- The W hotel
- Sofitel So
- The Okura Prestige
- Ko Pagnan
- Koh Pi Pi (Pipi lei and Pipi don)
*there’s a lot of other islands and beaches but these never disappoint
- Kapao Gai (chicken and rice)
- Ya moon se (rice vermicelli salad)
- Som Tam (papaya salad)
- Manao soda (fresh lime soda with sugar)
- Tom Yam Goong (shrimp coconut soup)
- Pad Thai (unmissable)
- Mango Sticky Rice
- Pla Manao (steamed whole fish in lime sauce)
There’s alot more, this is just what I thought were some essentials! I’ll leave you with some out takes from my trip and a music video I recently saw that gives you a good idea of what an amazing place it is!