Here’s a little photo diary of my trip to South America. My parents are living in Paraguay so I spent most of my time with my brother, his girlfriend, my husband and my parents just enjoying quality time and taking in all the beauty. The country is very underdeveloped but has a certain old world charm to it mixed in with some new world comforts. The highlight of the trip was spending New Years in Iguazu waterfalls which you may have seen on my Instagram. It’s a Unesco heritage site and it really blows you away when you see it in person, the pictures do it no justice at all but I did my best to capture the unbelievable amounts of water pouring into the middle of this beautiful jungle. Everyone goes on this boat ride where you literally go with the boat under the cascades. It’s kind of like Disneylands splash mountain x 1000000 and it looks absolutely terrifying. I didn’t want to go but my brother and the hubby insisted (chanting his new learned word ‘adventura!’ all the way) so I caved and went. It was exhilirating and I’m so glad they made me do it!
- - Go to the Museo del Barro and see all the indigineous mud pottery, masks and tribal wear
- - Stock up on chia seeds, mango’s and the local Mandioca potato and Sopa Paraguaya
- - Enjoy the greenery! You’ll see mango trees pretty much everywhere you go
- - Get lost in the city center and visit the small fair for indiginous tribal trinkets and beautiful ñanduti table cloths (its like a stiff lace)
- - Eat: loved the restaurant El Mercadito for everything BBQ!
- - Stay at the beautiful Loi Suites on the Argentine side, it’s beautiful and fits in so well with the place
- - Don’t miss the boat ride, it’s terrifying but worth it! And buy the video they sell, it’s pretty cool
- - Take the train up to the garganta del diablo (devil’s gorge)Do NOT feed the animals and monkeys , they will chase! And beware of jungle jaguars!
- - Walk, don’t take the train to the lower levels of the falls, the jungle trek is worth it to spot rare plants and butterflies
- - Make sure you wear a bathing suit and a waterproof phone case!