One of the greatest things about travelling a lot is learning little tips and strategies for making long haul flights as stress free as possible. I’m one of those people who usually overpacks (mainly because of tough shoe decisions) and would rather take everything than risk forgetting something but over time I’ve fine tuned my packing habits as well as my in flight routine.
Here are some tips I’d like to share with you to make your travels more enjoyable no matter how often you fly!
1. Comfy clothes is a must but leave the PJ’s in the suitcase! I usually wear my most comfortable jeans but I’ve seen people in full blown sweats and t shirts on a business class flight. This is a major no no for me. It’s a flight not a slumber party! If you want to wear sweats and some nice sneakers that’s fine but make sure to pair it with a loose blouse or a tailored jacket to keep it smart. Some people wear their heaviest/bulkiest in flight but I like lightweight materials for ultimate comfort.
2. Dark colors: wearing darker shades helps you avoid looking a mess if you spill something mid flight during turbulence.
3. Minimal make up. It can be very tempting to wear mascara and foundation but I find its better to mix a little foundation with my day cream, dab some lipstick with my lipbalm and call it a day. On landing I slip into the bathroom and apply the rest so I land looking fresh and polished.
4. Packing rules: I usually take a carry on with me on board because I don’t put valuables in checked luggage since I had the unfortunate incident of having things stolen once. Since then I make sure I have jewellery, handbags and any electronic devices safely with me. I also take a change of clothes (underwear, socks, a tshirt or dress) in case my bag gets lost.
5. Beauty Bag: I usually take as little as possible but I never leave without a travel sized dry shampoo. I like to arrive at my destination as fresh as possible and this not only makes it look clean but it also adds body and leaves a great smell. I apply Kiehls midnight recovery serum and ultra moisturizing cream before I go to sleep and if I have space I also take a facial mist.
6. Comfort: I don’t like the airplane eye masks so I take my own of a silk or cashmere variety which also avoids leaving marks on my face. I also take a neck pillow with me (to avoid bobbing head syndrome) and I wear comfy converse shoes which also weigh down my luggage.
7. The anxoius traveller: I’m always saying hello and goodbyes at airports which makes my travelling a little emotionally tense. When I travel across oceans the turbulence also terrifies me so I tend to take something to sleep with so I can make sure I arrive well rested and it also makes the trip seem a lot shorter. If I don’t take anything doctor perscribed I usually have red wine with my meal which does the trick.
8. Don’t over hydrate: I know you read everywhere that staying hydrated on planes is important but over doing it can also be annoying if you need to pee 5 times in the flight. I hate airplane bathrooms (who likes them!?) so I rather keep my hydration simple, if I’m thirsty I’ll drink.
Below you can shope all the items I travel with and I hope you have happy travels! Would love to hear some of your tips!